Banana Ice Cream 5 Ways
I love ice cream, but dairy shows me no love back (insert bloated belly). Discovering “Nice Cream” allowed me to enjoy a frozen treat without all the added sugars, preservatives, and most important the lactose that wants to kill me!
Foolproof Tips For The Perfect Nice Cream
- The bananas must be REALLY RIPE. Don’t even try to make this with fresh, perfectly yellow looking bananas. This recipe is best when using ripe, almost to the point of tossing them, bananas. You won’t them to have plenty of brown spots.
- Do not freeze your bananas with the skin on, it will never come off, not even with a blow torch.
- Before freezing, slice bananas into small pieces. This makes it easier to blend them up. *If you have a low powered food processor or blender, it will be most effective to slice the banana into small pieces.
- If your food processor is not up to the job, thaw your bananas for a few minutes to make the work a bit easier on the processor’s motor.
- When you add other fruit to the mixture be sure to use frozen fruit. Adding unfrozen fruit will thin the ice cream and you’ll end up with a smoothie drink instead.
- You will need to stop occasionally and scrape down the sides. They lower powered the blender, the more often you should scrape.
- If you don’t love the flavor of bananas, pair your nice cream with another strong flavor such as; pineapples, cocoa powder, cherries, mint, etc.
This recipe outlined below is the BASE for all the flavors. For example, if you decide to make chocolate just use the recipe below and add 1 TBSP Cacao Powder.
KEEP READING FOR 5 NICE CREAM FLAVORS!
- 3 bananas, frozen
- ¼ - ½ cup almond milk
- 1 TBSP maple syrup
- *See below for lots of flavors. Use this recipe as your base.
- Unpeel 3 bananas, slice and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Place frozen bananas in food processor or blender.
- Add ¼ nut milk, such as no sugar added almond milk
- Pour in maple syrup
- Blend until ice cream consistency. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides. If your mixture is too thick add a more milk.
#1 Vanilla Banana ice cream is the most traditional, we’ll call it the classy nice cream. Subtle, and perfect for those who love bananas.
Ingredients: 3 ripe and frozen bananas, 1/8 tsp vanilla extract, 1/4 cup almond milk, 1 TBSP maple syrup (optional)
#2 Chocolate – My favorite! To keep it healthy we are using 100% Cacao Powder.
Ingredients: 3 ripe and frozen bananas, 1 TBSP Cacao powder, 1/8 tsp vanilla extract, 1 TBSP maple syrup.
Tips: If you love a dark chocolate flavor increase the Cacao Powder to 1.5 TBSP. If you want it sweeter add more maple syrup or add 1 packet stevia. For dairy-free chocolate chips, I like the brand Enjoy Life.
#3 Chocolate Peanut Butter – Same as chocolate above, add 1-2 TBSP Peanut or Almond butter. Top with crushed peanut butter cups if you are feeling daring.
#4 Chocolate Chipper – Perfect for kiddos! Who doesn’t love chocolate chip ice cream!?!
Ingredients: 3 ripe and frozen bananas, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, 1 TBSP maple syrup, 1 cup chocolate chips.
#5 – Pineapple Banana. Click here for the recipe in another post.
Magically your frozen banana transforms into ice cream!