Our shredded buffalo chicken has all the flavor of buffalo wings without the greasy hands and the leftover basket of gnawed bones. Traditional buffalo wings are deep fried, dunked in butter, slathered in wing sauce, and served blue cheese. 10 wings and 1 serving of blue cheese at Buffalo Wild Wings is 1000 calories— yikes!
When I started my weight loss adventure I obsessed over what I had to give up, with chicken wings right at the top of the list (just behind mac-n-cheese). You see, I have a long-standing relationship with fried chicken of all varieties. When I was in college I worked at a wing restaurant and served wings 30 different ways. Every day that summer I had a basket of wings and curly fries. Shocker, I also gained 10 lbs that summer.
When I decided I had to reverse course and lose the weight, I also gave up all the foods I loved, wah.😭
Insert New Heather — I got over the grief of foods I’d given up and learned to create healthier renditions of my old favorites. I love wings, but I love wearing a size 10 way more. To avoid returning to my size 20 pants I began my love affair Frank’s Wing Sauce, oh happy day!
Buffalo chicken, the answer to everything
Make a batch of shredded buffalo chicken and use it all week. It’s perfect for wraps, salads, and bowls. Try it for breakfast in a hash of scrambled eggs, shredded chicken, and cheese; it’s a pop of color for your taste buds.
Enough of that, let’s talk wraps!
Start With Shredded Buffalo Chicken – Quick and Easy
Place 4 – 6 chicken breast your slow cookers, Dutch oven, or large cooking pot with lid. Add 3/4 cup Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce. For stove top cooking keep an eye on your chicken, add up to 1/4 cup chicken broth to keep it moist.
Allow chicken to cool, then shred with two forks.
Shredded chicken can be used for several days in wraps, salads, bowls and anything you dream up! It’s so good I often just eat it solo.
- 4 chicken breast
- 1 TBSP oil (olive, coconut, ghee)
- 3/4 cup Frank’s Wing Sauce Buffalo
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped (optional)
- Stove Top Method:
- Add 1 TBSP oil to large cooking pot on med-high heat
- Add chicken and brown on each side
- Reduce heat to medium
- Add Franks Wing Sauce and celery (if desired)
- Cover and let cook for 10 min. Check to be sure there is plenty of liquid if pot is dry and 1/2 cup chicken broth.
- Cook covered for an additional 10-15 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from heat, let cool.
- Shred chicken with forks.
Shredded Buffalo Chicken Wraps
Here’s where the fun starts! Wraps are my favorite because they are versatile and perfect for families with picky eaters or those with food allergies.
Choose Your Wrap
We love the La Tortilla Factory Low Carb Wrap with just 70 calories and a whopping 9 grams of fiber. You could also use a spinach wrap, pita pocket, or gluten free tortilla.
Pick Your Toppings – My Loves Include:
Blue Cheese or Shredded Cheese
Blue Cheese or Ranch Dressing
Guacamole (perfect for those who are dairy-free)
Celery, cut into matchsticks
- Per Wrap:
- Shredded Buffalo Chicken (recipe above), about 1 cup per wrap
- 1 wrap
- Franks’ Buffalo Wing Sauce, drizzle 1-2 tsp over top for an extra kick
- Vegetable toppings, use your favorites (see ideas above)
- Cheese, crumbled blue or shredded cheddar
- Ranch or blue cheese dressing, and/or [url href=”https://heathergaither.com/easy-guacamole-recipe/” target=”_blank”]guacamole[/url]
- Using a skillet on med-high heat, warm tortilla on each side for 15 seconds
- Add 1 cup buffalo chicken
- Top with veggies
- Add cheese or dressing, or both
- Drizzle extra Frank’s Wing Sauce
- Wrap it up!