Island Sweet Potato Fries! It’s hot out and I’m stuck inside, leading my brain to wonder off to a tropical island. This lollygagging was the inspiration for Island Fries with a chili, cinnamon, and lime. Maybe my tastebuds are telling me to take a cruise.
Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
The biggest complaint I hear about sweet potatoes fries is that they are not crispy enough, and I get that, who wants a soggy fry? SOLUTION: Cornstarch is the key to crispy sweet potato fries.
This recipe is easy and quick! I find cutting the fries into even sizes is the hardest step, it is clear that my math challenges extend into the kitchen;). It’s important to get each fry as close to the same size as possible so that they cook evenly. Confession: I did not do this will all the fries and there are about 10 that burnt to a crisp!
Sweet Potato Fry Variations:
- If you are not able to use cornstarch, just leave it off. I made Sweet Potato Fries for years without it and loved every bite! To add that extra crunch, turn the oven to broil and broil for 2-4 minutes, flipping every 1 minute.
- Out of Cinnamon and no desire for another grocery run, we get it! Just increase the chili powder to 1/2 tsp.
- Sans Sugar, ok. If you’re practicing a no sugar added diet, leave off the maple syrup. It adds a subtle bit of sweetness, but these fries have plenty of natural sweetness.
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 3 TBSP cornstarch
- ⅛ tsp maple syrup (a bit more if you want them sweeter)
- 2 TBSP coconut oil (or ghee)
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 lime
- Preheat Oven to 400 F.
- Cut Sweet Potatoe into fries. I half the potato, then quarter it up and chop into even sized fries.
- Place fries in a zipper bag and toss in cornstarch.
- Combine oil, chili powder, cinnamon, maple and salt in large mixing bowl and toss.
- Next, lightly coat fries in oil mixture. You need just enough oil to coat.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange fries in a single layer, no overlapping.
- Roast for 15 minutes. Using a spatula, flip the fries and cook for 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Remove and season with more salt.
- Squeeze half a lime over the fries (more if you love lime!)